Meet MAT, Paint MAT: The 2017 Substance 3D Painting Contest
Are you surrounded by a collection of vinyl figurines born in the minds of brilliant artists? For those who aren't familiar with them, these designer toys aren't just for kids – they're stylized miniatures of creative awesomeness for all ages.
Unleash your imagination, push the limits of Substance Painter, and show us how you would picture MAT, our new art toy mascot. To you, is he a muddy little soldier, an Italian scooter, an alien waiting to invade earth? Or something else entirely?
For this contest the task is simple: nothing to model, no UV to unwrap – MAT is already fully modeled and is waiting to come to life with your brushstrokes! Just take your (digital) paintbrush, download the MAT model here and start doodling away.
If you’ve never used Substance Painter, don’t worry, we’re here for you! With the 30-day free trial of Substance Painter and this 20-minute video tutorial, you will be ready in no time and have all the info you need. The new 2.6 release includes the MAT project already set up and ready to paint.
There are three simple rules for participating in the contest:
1. All texturing must be done in Substance Painter.
You may import data such as textures, alphas, or other assets into Substance Painter as long as the creative texturing work is done in Substance Painter. (You cannot simply import and apply final textures that have been created in another tool.)
You must use the default Substance Painter shaders.
You may not modify any aspect of the mesh template.
You are encouraged to post your work in progress on our forum under the category Contest/Meet MAT: The 2017 Substance 3D Painting Contest with the name “Meet MAT: nameOfTheArtist entry”, but this is not required.
You can also upload your creations on Sketchfab, Artstation, Behance, Coroflot, Evermotion, Polycount or others and send us the link in the dedicated section of the submission form.
Any new Substance Painter users on Sketchfab will automatically receive 3 months of Sketchfab PRO! Tag your entry on Sketchfab with #MeetMAT17 to be featured in the contest gallery.
To get you started, 14 materials from Substance Source are available for free during the length of the contest! Download them here.
If you’re one of those people who likes to have everything in one place, here’s the definitive list of everything you need for the contest and where to find it:
– The 3D MAT model
– A 30-day free trial of Substance Painter
– The tutorial video
– 14 free Substance Source materials (you don’t have to use these but they are available)
– The tomoco_studio environment map (one of the default environment maps in Substance Painter)
– Watermarks for your submission
The jury will judge the entries on the following set of criteria:
- Artistic Qualities
- Execution and Technique
The contest will run for two weeks, from April 27th to May 11th at 11:59 pm (PST) You will need to submit your entries with this form.
Winners will be announced 12 days after the end of the contest, on May 23.
Valid submissions will include at least:
– One image made in rendering mode (Iray) inside Substance Painter, with the size of the 3D model and angles as close as possible to THIS model, facing the camera.
- The required resolution is 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080.
- The environment map used has to be “tomoco_studio”, and is one of the default environment maps inside Substance Painter. You can get more info about the Iray render inside Substance Painter here.
– One screenshot inside the Substance Painter interface, with size and angles as close as possible to this model. - Field of view: 40 Rotation: 250.
You can upload other renders on the submission form. If you have several renders, don’t limit yourself – just post a .zip!
Blair Armitage, 3D Character Artist for the gaming industry
Adam Watkins, VFX supervisor, Visual Effects Society award winner
Panos Ioannou, Head of Production and Visualisation, Foster + Partners - Architecture
Florian Flatau, Lead Transportation Designer, Art-Toy Creator and multidisciplinary Artist
Sébastien Deguy, CEO and founder, Allegorithmic
Get more details on the delivery of prizes in the Terms and Conditions.
P.S. Enter the contest with the brand-new Substance Painter 2.6!
You can enter the contest with any version of Substance Painter, but we did want to let you know that Substance Painter 2.6 has arrived just in time for the contest kickoff!
Good news: we added MAT as a default sample in Substance Painter 2.6. It's as simple as can be! Select "Start painting" on the splashscreen and you're all set.
This new version of Substance Painter includes the following features:
– Texture set renaming (rename mesh materials in the UI) – Texture set reassignment (you can recover a hidden layer stack) – Update resources through scripting with a dedicated plugin shipped by default that allows you to update resources in projects
We’ve created a special documentation page for this release to tell you more about how it works, and you can also follow the Substance Painter 2.6 tutorial now on Substance Academy.
See the full release note here.